LATA Advanced Studies Scholarship Application
The Learning Assistance Teachers Association (LATA), a Provincial Specialist Association (PSA) of the British Columbia Teachers Federation (BCTF), awards annual, non-renewable scholarships to LATA members pursuing further education in the field of inclusive education.
One scholarship is available each year to a BCTF member who holds current LATA membership and has completed advanced studies in the previous 2 years. Applications are accepted throughout the year, and must be received by July15th to be considered for the current year's awards. Applications received between July 16th and the next AGM/conference will be considered for the following year. Scholarships are non-renewable and must be accepted in the year awarded.
Applicants are eligible to receive the scholarship after their program of studies is complete.
Acceptance of a scholarship includes permission to publicize the award. Scholarship recipients will submit an article/blog post about their education and teaching goals for publication on the LATA web page. Recipients may also be invited to present at future LATA events. Scholarships are taxable, and award recipients will provide a Social Insurance Number to BCTF Accounting before the award money is released.
LATA scholarships will be formally awarded at the Annual General Meeting in the year of the award. Only the successful applicant will be contacted, and applicants who are not selected to receive an award may re-apply for consideration in the subsequent year. The decision to award LATA scholarships rests solely with the LATA Executive Committee and/or the Scholarship Subcommittee, and award decisions may not be appealed. The successful applicant will receive a letter and must respond within 2 weeks of being contacted. After the 2 week period the award will go to another applicant.
Criteria for awarding scholarships:
1. All scholarship applicants must complete this application form in full.
2. Only residents of British Columbia who hold current membership in BCTF and LATA will be considered for this award.
3. Proof of course completion/degree must be submitted to receive the award. Transcripts to be provided by the successful applicant once notified they have been granted the award.
4. Applicants confirm that they have not received the LATA Advanced Studies Scholarship award at any time in the past.
5. Scholarship priority goes to currently practicing Learning Assistance or Classroom teachers who are taking a degree/diploma in an inclusive education field.
6. Non-practicing teachers in a related graduate program preparing to enter the Learning Assistance field ( i.e. BCTF members on sabbatical, maternity or other leave) may be considered in the absence of qualified applicants under point 5.
7.Applicants' current and past participation in LATA events and activities will be considered in evaluating responses.
8. Applicants who complete their specialized programs through a recognized Canadian university will be considered ahead of those graduating from international or private educational institutions.
9. Where multiple equally-qualified applicants are being considered, date of submission may be an additional criterion.
* All personal information collected will only be used for the purpose of contacting the successful applicant. Data will be deleted once the scholarship has been granted. *
Click to open the application form: LATA Advanced Studies Scholarship Application